Go Back   Ecuador.com Discussion Forum > Human Rights > Human Rights in Ecuador

Notices

troubles in Ecuador

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th March 2001, 00:38

Smile

Can anyone tell me what's happening now in Ecuador? Are the streets calm? or is there still tension between the Indians and the goverment?
Are Americans from the United States safe and free to go whereever they want?
Old 16th March 2001, 16:41

Talking

What a very foolish question. Does not every other American find much sadness in posts like the above? This poor, deluded, being actually believes that all Americans are completely free to go wherever they might choose. Ah! The pain of sudden realization! We is not free! We is American!

Nonson
Old 23rd March 2001, 00:04

Unhappy

Now that you have insulted me. Please update us on what is happening in Ecuador. Is the goverment keeping it's promises or will there be more troubles in the near future.
Old 11th May 2001, 00:49

Cool

I just returned from a three and a half week trip to Ecuador. I was able to visit several cities and speak with numerous individuals regarding the current situation in Ecuador. People from low income class are having a hard time with the "dolarizacion". Now that the US Dollar became the official currency, the lower economic class is still thinking in Sucres and comparing current prices using the last conversion rate of 25,000 Sucres per Dollar when purchasing goods. Retailers have rounded up prices to the nearest US Dollar.

The middle class has accepted the change; however, they are making cuts everywhere. Many (mainly low class) have bailed out and migrated to Spain, Italy, and the US. Some are trying to sell their properties to finance their trips. Perhaps they will regret it.

Regarding the situation with foreigners, it's relatively safe. Ecuador is and has been for many years a relatively peaceful country. If you compare it with Colombia, Peru, Chile, Bolivia and even Argentina where economic, terrorism, drug trafficking, de facto governments, and civil unrest have wiped out generations, Ecuador is still a safe and good place (for foreigners and Ecuadorians) to live in. Nevertheless, we need to be extremely careful no matter whether we are in Ecuador or in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Actually, we have lost more Americans to terrorist attacks here in our own soil than we have in Ecuador.

There are and there will always be problems in Ecuador. Just look at history and you will see what I mean.
Regards,

I

Old 24th April 2002, 12:09

americans in ecuador

My mother is an Ecuadorian who immigrated to New York in 1960. But I do not feel free to go wherever I please just because I have an American passport; the French government reminds me every day that I do not belong here even though I have lived in France for 15 years. My family has a long history of immigrants from Ecuador, Germany, Sweden and Spain. So naturally I believe I -- and anyone in the world -- CAN go live in another country. It is the immigration laws of each country that say otherwise. I would like to go to Ecuador, but I would not like to be discriminated against for the fact of being having an American passport. (I already encounter discrimination in America AND France because of being non-white.) I think that the sarcasm I have seen here is not very dignified. I hope that this is not evidence of how I would be treated if I came to Ecuador to see where my mother has come from, or to contribute my knowlege and experience to this country in whatever way I may.
Old 6th August 2002, 00:11

Smile

hi, can any one tell me how a person who is been for ten years in the u.sa can fix the states. I need to find out for my friend thanks.
Old 24th October 2003, 16:35

there is tension stil in ecuador

you whats up
you wanna know why there isstill tension in ecuador
cause of americans going in there
cause they think cause they are so called "americans"
they can get and do whatever they want but that is **** to me
i am not with that ****
as of now we are still working on how to calm down the indians
cause they say they want better jobs but as how ecuador is
there is no way to give the what they want