Go Back   Ecuador.com Discussion Forum > Travel & Tourism/Viajes y Turismo > Moving/Mudanzas

Notices

Moving to Cuenca

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th May 2007, 14:31

Smile Moving to Cuenca

My wife and I will be visiting Ecuador in June with a goal of moving to Cuenca near the end of 2007. We are from California and have traveled thoughout Europe, Australia, Thailand and the Middle East. Cuenca is a beautiful city from the pictures we have seen and appears to have the ideal climate. We would like to meet people who have moved to Cuenca when we arrive in June. Is it better to fly into Guayaquil or Quito and what is the best method of transportation to Cuenca from either Guayaquil or Quito? Any suggestions on where to stay in Cuenca is also appreciated.

Bill and Christa
Old 19th May 2007, 17:20

Hi Bill,

I don't think it matters too much as far as flying into Cuenca from Guayaquil or Quito. Flying from Guayquil is a bit cheaper than Quito ($10 or $20) but other than that I think it just depends on which city you want to start out from.

I've only flown to Cuenca so I can't tell you what the drive is like; other than it's around 8 to 10 hours. I think it would be a great way to see the countryside but if you're short on time it probably wouldn't be the best way to go. And you're right Cuenca is indeed a beautiful city. My husband and I fell in love with it when we were last there (Dec 2005) and that's when we decided to move there. We're moving with our kids in the summer 2008 and I'm really looking forward to it!

When we went we stayed at the Posada Del Angel and other than it being really noisy it was a good place. It's economical, clean, in a good location and the staff are friendly and helpful.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to Ecuador but if you have any more questions ask away and I'll try to help. My husband works there so I can always tap into his knowledge of the country as well.

Take care and have fun planning your move!

Meemee

PS Apparently there's a cafe in Cuenca called the Eucalyptus where expats supposedly hang out. Might be something to check into...
Old 19th May 2007, 20:50

Hi Meemee,

Thank you so much for the fast reply and all the great information. We are getting more excited as the time gets closer. We have already put our home on the market and are looking forward to our trip with much enthusiasm. Are you going to take any furnishings with you or is it better to buy everything in Ecuador? I understand it is better to take electronics such as computers and TVs than to buy them there.

I didn't mention that we are living in the US and don't have GSM here. I am considering getting a GSM cell phone for our visit in order to stay in touch while we are there. Where are you living and what type of work is your husband doing in Cuenca? I am a retired software engineer with some video production experience. I am not planning on working but like to stay active.

Warmest Regards,
Bill and Christa
Old 22nd May 2007, 01:46

Hi Bill,

We're not taking much for furnishings because we plan on going for just a couple of years and figured that we'd rather spend the money bringing stuff back rather than to. I think electronics are fairly expensive to buy there but beware shipping them into the country, I've heard stories of people having things stolen in customs. We're probably going to carry a couple of laptops with us and buy a small TV when we get there. I'm apprehensive about taking anything that can't be hand carried into the country. Also, we have the advantage of my husband bringing a little bit with him every time he goes to work.

My husband is a aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) and works at one of the bases in the jungle. We live in Saskatchewan, Canada so I'm really looking forward to escaping the cold!

Have you been to Ecuador or South America before? Your original post gave me the impression that you haven't. If so - are you nervous about going there sight unseen? I'm also interested in meeting/talking to people who are moving to or living in Ecuador particularly Cuenca so perhaps we can keep each other informed on our moving adventures!

Cheers!

Meemee

PS I can't comment on GSM because I'm not familiar with it (I don't even know if Canada has it or not. I'm one of those people who knows how to make the call and that's it! I know it's pathetic but... )
Old 31st May 2007, 15:21

Hi Meemee,

Thanks for the information on moving. We have never been to South America but lived in San Diego for almost 20 years and have picked up a little Spanish. We have also lived in Saudi Arabia so are not too concerned about going to Ecuador sight unseen. I will feel more comfortable in Ecuador since customs there are similar to ours. We can make our final decision on moving after our visit in June.

We don’t have a firm date for our travels yet since we have to plan around our business transactions. My wife and I are Realtors and have been busy closing sales in Florida and Tennessee before we visit Ecuador. We moved from California to Florida in 2002 and then to Tennessee in 2006 where we now live. We are looking forward to the mild weather in Cuenca and also a more tranquil atmosphere. The cost of living is also a consideration.

I am starting a list of questions to be answered when we visit Cuenca. Maybe we can combine our questions and share the results. If you prefer you can contact me directly at bill@paradigmplace.com. Here is a link that has some price information from 2004 that I found interesting. I don’t know if it is reflects current prices or not.
Ecuador Travel Guide - Cost
I am curious about the price of gasoline and if fresh dairy products are available.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 17th July 2007, 04:13

Hi Bill

just wanted to say good luck on your trip
Old 18th July 2007, 22:44

Hi Rosamia,

Thank you for your post. We have had a great time in Cuenca and will be returning to the US on July 22nd. We are staying at the El Dorado Hotel and will be at the Eucalyptus cafe Friday night. If you are in Cuenca and would like to call me my number is 09 4141291.

Hasta Luego,
Bill and Christa